Life Kinetic is moving to Japan!
So I am obviously switching gears and focusing on the Far East… Here is what I am thinking for the next year or so, and if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them!
- A Trip from Vladivostok to Beijing on the Trans-Siberian Railway – this is a trip I have seriously planned twice in the last 20 years but just never got it together to make it happen. I want to stop at Lake Baikal and Ulan Ude on the way.
- Climb Mount Fuji – I lived in Japan as a kid and my parents and brother hiked Mount Fuji without me. I have never let them hear the end of it, but this is an omission in my travel history I would like to correct this summer.
- Vietnam – The history and culture of Vietnam fascinates me. I was born in the 70s after the controversial American War in Vietnam that shaped a lot of American culture and views to this day. I want to witness the recovery and healing, the beauty of the countryside and the energy of the cities. I want to learn the history of the war and the 20th century through Vietnam’s lens.
- Taipei – I know almost nothing about Taiwan other than it’s relationship with China as a legacy of the Chinese Revolution of the 1940s. There is no better way to learn than to be somewhere and hear the stories and history in their own voice. I think a visit is long overdue!
- Hong Kong – I was in Hong Kong over 25 years ago when it was still separate from China. I’d like to revisit the city and learn what has changed and what has stayed the same.
- Kyoto – I have yet to learn much about this city but I am drawn to the images of the endless Torii gates and temples.
- Shanghai – A city of over 24 MILLION people on the Yangtze River Delta. I just need to see it for myself.
- Cambodia and Laos – And last but not least, if I can fit it in, I would love to spend a couple of weeks next winter in Cambodia and Laos. But this might have to wait for 2019!